THE CARBONLITE & PINNPACK PET LIFE CYCLE
Can plastic be environmentally friendly?
DISCOVER THE STEPS THAT CLOSE THE PET LIFE CYCLE LOOP
PET BOTTLE RECYCLING
YOU are the first step
Every time you throw a water bottle into a recycling bin,
you are helping to start the process!
- Approximately 5.35 billion pounds of PET
bottles are available for recycling every year
- Producing 1 pound of Recycled PET from
bottles takes 84% less energy than
producing 1 pound of virgin PET.
Where water bottles start the journey
Once in the recycle bin, the bottles are picked
up and sent to a Material Recovery Facility (MRF)
where they are separated from other recycable
materials and then compressed into a 1,000 lb bale.
THE CARBONLITE SYSTEM
How plastic bottles become reusable
The bales are then sent to the CarbonLITE Recycling Center in Riverside California. CarbonLITE, PinnPackās sister company, is the largest bottle-to-bottle recycling facility in the United States, and with the addition of its new Dallas Facility, it will be the largest in the World.
Once at CarbonLITE:
1. The bales are broken back into individual bottles.
2. The bottles are then further separated from any trash and debris and then washed in hot caustic water.
3. Automatic Sorting Machines segregate the the bottles into 3 streams: Clear PET, Green PET, and Non-PET plastic. - The Non-PET plastic is re-baled and sold to others for subsequent processing into other materials.
4. The now segregated Clear and Green bottles are now ground up into cornflake-like flakes and are intensively washed, rinsed, and dried.
5. The last step, Solid State Polycondensation, takes the dried clean flakes and heats them under a vacuum to remove any contaminents. This process is FDA approved to be Food Contact Safe. The purified flakes are then melted and extruded into plastic rPET pellets.
6. These plastic pellets, also known as Post Consumer Resin (PCR), are bagged and sent to customers.
WELCOME TO PINNPACK
Turning your Bottles to Packaging
Pinnpack Receives the rPET PCR. The rPET PCR is then de-humidified, crystallized, melted, and then Extruded into Rolls (Sheet) of PET material. Pinnpack Sheet can be made from 100% recycled PCR or a blend of New and Recycled PET.
The Sheet is then Thermoformed, in-house, to create Plastic Food Containers ready for use in the Deli, Bakery, and Produce industries.
CLOSING THE LOOP
Reintroducing the recycled bottles back into the world, but in a new form
The finished Plastic Containers are then packed in
boxes and sent to customers all over the United States.
PET is the number 1 recyclable plastic material,
meaning that these Food Containers are able to be
recycled into various items including fibers, bottles,
and even other types of Food Packaging.
FOR EVERY 1,000 TONS OF rPET PCR WE:
of landfill space
of Crude Oil